When teeth are healthy, gum tissue fits around each tooth like a cuff. In a tooth with gum recession, the gum tissue has pulled away from the tooth. This can leave the root of the tooth exposed. Since the root surface does not have a hard enamel covering like the crown (top) of the tooth, the root may become sensitive to hot and cold and the exposed root at more risk for decay.
Gum recession can be caused by:
1. Periodontal (gum) disease
2. Brushing your teeth too hard
3. Trauma to gum tissues, such as a sports injury
4. Ill-fitting partial dentures
6. Use of tobacco products
7. Attachment muscles that can push gums out of place
Call us for an appointment to check your gum recession!!!!