You brush daily…yet still get cavities! What could be wrong? Our dentists in Greenville NC residents not only with the restorations, but also in shedding light on how you may be unwittingly falling into a common trap.
The perfect recipe for creating cavities:
- Allow sugar or starch to contact your teeth (a chemical reaction will then occur between ever-present bacterium, and produce an acid).
- Wait 20 minutes while this acid works full-force eating away at protective enamel. Do not rinse away the acid with water. (Any pre-existing flaws in your enamel are extremely vulnerable during such attacks, with the result that even the slightest of cavities can be enlarged.)
- Introduce another round of sugary drink or starchy foods to set off a repeat acid attack.
- Fail to brush and floss your teeth at least twice a day, allowing plaque to harden into tartar.
Of course, no one intentionally mixes the perfect recipe to induce cavities, but life as a busy adult on the run can wreak havoc with your health, including your dental health. Instead of a nutritious celery or carrot stick snack, you may grab a candy bar and chug energy drinks and soda.
Be proactive against cavities; follow these tips:
- Indulge in a more nutritionally balanced diet low in sugars and starch, particularly when snacking over the course of hours.
- If eating sweets/starches, try to save it for a single sitting rather than repeated nibbling or sipping. This will limit the sheer quantity of acid attacks launched on your enamel.
- Swish vigorously with water following snacks to help wash away acid and minimize damage.
- Brush and floss diligently at least twice daily.
- Schedule regular bi-annual dental check-ups and professional teeth cleaning with us.